Where did you get that price? The Satori midwoofer currently sells for $148
Jeff
Jeff's Excel Loudspeaker Design Software
http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

tct98

Re: The Kairos thread

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:05 am

Hello everybody.
I am new here and after reading some good reviews on Jeffs Kairos I made up my mind to build a pair when the bass unit appeard.
I have decided to use Satori WO24P-8 as a bassdriver and TW29BN as a tweeter.
I bought the plans from Meniscus and it was some work to convert everything from inch to metric as I live in Sweden.
All the parts of the Kairos are ready so it will not be to long before they are in action. I have also built a testbox for the bassdriver just to check out how it will sound. It seems very promising.

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:02 pm

The TW29BN may be a little hotter than the TW29R, so you might want to play around a little with the resistors on the tweeter to get a good balance.

tct98

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:18 pm

The Kairos are now playing together with the testbass (only one) in its original setup. (TW29R). I like the sound very much. It is very detailed and balanced. The soundstage is also very good after playing around a little with the placement of the speakers.

I have the TW29BN in another pair of speakers and I just have to try them later on as they sound very good. They are 4dB up on the TW29R so there are some work to be done.

Jeff. The tweeter resistors is one question I have for you. At a first glance it looks as an ordinary L-pad ,but when using the standard formulas the values are different.
Could you explain the difference and what they do ?

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Standard formulas are only necessary if you have a reason to keep the impedance the same as it was. I don't have that restriction when I am designing, so I use values that easy to find, usually parallel resistors of  10, 15, 20 ohms etc. and then series resistors that give the attenuation that I need. In your case, you probably need to drop the parallel resistor by 5 and increase the series one by a couple of ohms and tweak from there.

tct98

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:20 am

Thanks for the explanation and for giving me a good startingpoint with the TW29BN.
Next step will be to build the bass units.

tct98

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 am

The bass units are ready and playing. The Kairos alone are very good but together with the bass it opens up another dimension.
The volume of the box is just above 50 liters. I kept the frontal area as small as possible and extended the dept instead. The vents are tuned to just below 25Hz ,(Wo24 fs 24,5Hz) with the help of ARTA.
The bass is clear and has a nice punch. So thank you Jeff for a very good construction. I am very pleased with the result.

Next step is TW29-BN.