Support for the DIY speaker builder

Finleyville

Re: Finalists Build

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:25 pm

This could not have been timed any better. I will be starting a Finalists build soon myself. Your vids and pics are very helpful.

You have a small drill with a plunge attachment to it. What attachment is that? I really need to pick one of those up.

In the vids when you cut your woofer holes it looks like you re-plug the cutout then go over it again with the router. Were you cutting the countersinks then?

Your pic of the built crossover will be invaluable when I layout mine. Thanks. Where do you get your terminal strips? I really like those.

lowpolyjoe
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Finleyville wrote:
You have a small drill with a plunge attachment to it. What attachment is that? I really need to pick one of those up.

In the vids when you cut your woofer holes it looks like you re-plug the cutout then go over it again with the router. Were you cutting the countersinks then?

Your pic of the built crossover will be invaluable when I layout mine. Thanks. Where do you get your terminal strips? I really like those.

Hey. Glad this thread helped you out. There is a little more to this build than a standard sealed or vented box given the PVC through tunnel and it's supports, but nothing crazy. I built the entire box and veneered it before cutting the through holes and that approach VASTLY complicated the build. It'd probably be easier if you cut the front and rear panel holes and countersinks before assembly, then veneer / paint later.

The drill with the stabalizing base is cool as hell. Unfortunately, it was a gift from a carpenter friend and i don't know where you can get one. I don't think it's really an attachment, i think it was part of the drill. It's a Craftsman, but it's got to be 20yrs old. Maybe there's a modern equivalent but i don't know. Some pics below with all the info i could find on it..

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

When i replugged the hole and hit it again with the router it was because when i first cut the countersink (before cutting the through hole) i must have had the wrong setting on my jasper jig and it was too small. I shimmed the cut-out back into position and made another pass to expand it to the right size. I'm super lucky i was accidentally too small and not too big or i would have been screwed.

As for the terminal strips - if you mean the little white screw-terminal things, those are from radio shack. There are two sizes at my local store, i think these were the larger ones. They come in a row of 10 or 15 connected and i snipped them into individual terminals for the crossover. nice to have screw connections instead for taking things in and out.

My countersink depths were slightly deeper than i would have liked in the end... you might want to measure your own depths and not use mine directly.

Good luck!

mattsk8

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Nice job all the way around!! I love the veneer choices and the finish looks fantastic. Shellac isn't easy to work w/ either, looks like you nailed it 8-)

I'd love to hear a pair of those. I heard they sound as 'large' as the Statements!

lowpolyjoe
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks Matt. Statements were my first choice for this build but my livingroom setup will not allow for pulling the cabinets out far enough from the wall :( The Finalists have the sealed-mid-chamber option, which i have to use. I still kind of want to build the Statements at some point, just to hear that ribbon tweeter :) We'll see. The Finalists are VERY capable though. They offer more SPL than i personally need, but others who blast everything may disagree. I can't believe how low they play, usable very close to 20hz when EQ'ed when room gain kicks in!

For completeness i figured i'd post the distortion measures i did recently. Cranked my Denon 3312 *almost* all the way up. These are not super efficient speakers. I think my AVR is 125 or 150w/channel(?) and that gets me into 90's. PLENTY for me, but again, if you're into serious SPL you might want a hardcore amp to get to the theoretical 104dB limit. I measured a single channel at about 1M on tweeter axis. Mid tunnels were plugged. Speaker was in my normal listening location next to my flatscreen. Unfortunately that means some weird interactions with an 18" trap between the tv panel and the rear wall. Rear of the cabinet itself was about 1' from the wall.

First run was with no EQ

HD_FrontRight_1M_TweeterAxis_MidClosed_SwitchOpen_Direct_1_48_Oct_Louder_256.jpg

Second run was Auddyssey set to Music. This was kind of unscientific since Audyssey is supposed to flatten response at the listening location, not 1M, but i was curious. Low end does even out a bit with the EQ, but other parts of the curve suffer... measurements at calibration location (ie. on the couch) may have shown a flatter EQ'd curve in the mid range

HD_FrontRight_1M_TweeterAxis_MidClosed_SwitchOpen_EQMusic_1_48_Oct_Louder_256.jpg

OH.. and the legend (which Omnimic does not seem to supply for HD curves)

Red = 2nd harmonic
Purple = 3rd harmonic
Green = 4th harmonic
Light Blue = 5th harmonic
Dark Blue = 2nd-through-5th harmonic

jeffantastic

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 am

Beautiful build. The choice of veneers and finishes look great.

lowpolyjoe
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks Jeff :)

I bought enough veneer to try to cover a center channel if i ever get ambitious enough to try to build one. Haven't had time/money/drive for that yet.

Imaging was fantastic when i first set up these speakers in my livingroom so i wasn't planning on building a center at all. However, the wife insisted we reorganize the furniture and now the main couch is mis-aligned with the TV and speakers :x The soundstage is no longer quite as anchored and i lost bass response because the rear-wall is now about 8-10 feet behind the cabinets.

I'm now thinking that if i get a chance and some money i might try build a matching center. I was pointed to a variant of the Statements center channel with a sealed mid to compliment the Finalists. It was sort of a one-off design on a forum somewhere so i'll have to dig around to find it if i ever start a build.