Support for the DIY speaker builder

Wolf

Re: The Kairos thread

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:04 pm

I look forward to your progress, Martin! Welcome to the Meniscus board as well, nice to have you!
Wolf

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 pm

MJK wrote:
I have to admit I have beeen looking real hard at the Satori drivers. My thinking is to apply what I have learned from working with full range drivers for the past few years. Getting the box to make more of the bass and attenuate the driver motion over a wider frequency range then typical seen in a simple closed or ported enclosure. The Satori woofer has a low enough fs and a decent Qts so a back loaded horn design would seem to be possible. Bigger enclosure for deeper and more powerful bass output compared to the usual monkey coffin designs. So I am currently upgrading my TL worksheets to handle the full passive crossover design required to look at this in more detail. Should be able to start seriously in the fall.

Hi Martin,

You won't be disappointed with the driver. Besides its marvelous midrange it's the bass response that seems most surprising about it. With its low Fs and high compliance if you can control the cone motion you will be able to get some real magic out it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jeff
Jeff's Excel Loudspeaker Design Software
http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

richidoo

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:09 pm

I ordered my Kairos kit. Very excited to build and hear it.

Jeff, The cabinet drawing calls out 8.5" baffle width. You have mentioned 9" width in your posts. Is 8.5" correct?
Thanks

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:09 pm

richidoo wrote:
I ordered my Kairos kit. Very excited to build and hear it.

Jeff, The cabinet drawing calls out 8.5" baffle width. You have mentioned 9" width in your posts. Is 8.5" correct?
Thanks

Mine are 9" wide. However, I don't believe the 1/2" difference will make any real difference in the response given the low crossover point.

woodsart

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Hello everyone, just like to report in on my Kairos build designed by JB, of course. It has been several months now and I can say this was a worthwhile build for me. I really, really, like these. Very satisfied with plugged in ports, the bass is very good, I think.

All in all an excellent for build for anyone who is looking for an all around 2 channel set that delivers, well just about everything....as Jeff said "not much to complain about".

Thanks, Jeff for a great creation!

Robert

richidoo

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:17 pm

I have to agree. I just got mine playing last weekend. They are incredible little speakers. They play much bigger than they look, clear and detailed, and a fast open sound.

Rafal

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi all,
I am new here and am considering building either a kairos or continuum kit. I was wondering how those two compare in the sound quality. Especially the mid range. I am assuming that the continuum will have lower dynamics, max SPL and bass extension. I am just not sure by how much. I was also wondering what other well known commercial speaker the kairos could be comparable to.
I am currently using Tannoy Ardens in a big room an do like them but would like to try something a bit smoother with even better mid range and more enjoyable/fuller sounding at lower volumes.
I would be greatful for your comments and advice.
Cheers

Rafal

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Rafal wrote:
Hi all,
I am new here and am considering building either a kairos or continuum kit. I was wondering how those two compare in the sound quality. Especially the mid range. I am assuming that the continuum will have lower dynamics, max SPL and bass extension. I am just not sure by how much. I was also wondering what other well known commercial speaker the kairos could be comparable to.
I am currently using Tannoy Ardens in a big room an do like them but would like to try something a bit smoother with even better mid range and more enjoyable/fuller sounding at lower volumes.
I would be greatful for your comments and advice.
Cheers

Rafal

The biggest difference is definitely the bass extension and the way this changes the tonal balance. Both speakers are beautiful in the midrange, but the Kairos sounds "fuller" on the bottom end, even into the lower mids a little. The Continuum can keep up with the Kairos in dynamics, it is a very dynamic little speaker, and I really like the drivers in it even though they are much less money than the Satori drivers. The Continuum has very low measured distortion and sounds incredibly clean and detailed. If someone uses a subwoofer then the Continuums hold their own against the Kairos very well. Without a subwoofer then the Kairos wins easily with their excellent bass for such a small speaker. Which one sounds better in the midrange? That's a tough one; depending on the set-up and the music I am playing, I could pick either one as the winner.

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:57 pm

richidoo wrote:
I have to agree. I just got mine playing last weekend. They are incredible little speakers. They play much bigger than they look, clear and detailed, and a fast open sound.

Rich posted the following on the Techtalk forum regarding his experience with the Kairos. I thought I would copy it and link it in this thread as well:

I too am planning to make a 3 way, but using the method you outlined in your Kairos report, by adding a subwoofer under the Kairos, probably at a higher crossover frequency than 50Hz so I can reduce the excursion on the Satori to be able to play them louder. Although I have to admit they were really screaming with the Mcintosh MC402 playing my friend's hard rock CDs. The Satori plays so well down low that the only issue I see is the limited excursion of the woofer - I have heard mine bottom on occasion, when playing music with hyped up bass mix, like Brian Bromberg or dance music that's not too compressed. Loud and low classical music is my thing, but it would be nice to have the Kairos handling the refined parts 200Hz and up. Doubling the woofers MTM to raise the sensitivity and power handling would also be something I'd like to try.

I went to hear the NC Symphony play a Valentines program last night. Romeo and Juliet versions by three different composers, Tchaikovsky, Berlioz and Prokofiev. Berlioz was fairly tame, but Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev were really blowing off the roof. I When I had big Legacys I would play that stuff very loud. The refinement of the Kairos betters any speaker I've owned, even Quads, so I'm hoping that with a passive woofer of Jeff's design, or a subwoofer with active crossover I'll be able to relieve the Satori of the low bass so I can crank it way up.

Meantime, another update. Crossover and drivers are fully broken in now, and they sound wonderful. I've owned some great speakers but these take the cake. So much detail, yet it is so natural. There is no fake treble tizz or metallic cone ringing. The amount of tone detail and texture from the woofer is amazing. I was listening to an old mono LP of Brubeck/Desmond Jazz goes to College tonight. The tone of the sax is so perfect. Just the right amount of overtones, the sunny happy glow of his tone, the edge of the metal horn and rasp of his reed, everything is perfect. Violins, singers, brass all perfect. Playing a Chesky version of Fanfare for the Common Man I couldn't believe the tone of the trumpets playing in unison. I have played trumpet for 30 years, it was absolutely real. Speakers can't do this, or so I thought. I am glad I coughed up for the huge coils to get this kind of dynamics and tone. The other thing that is amazing is the imaging ability. I'm not a audiophile nut that prizes sonic tricks over music listening, but it's hard to ignore it when playing a good mono record. The band is dead center across all frequencies, top to bottom. The speakers might as well be potted plants it seems like there is no sound coming from them at all, not even in the low bass. Speakers with steep complex crossovers and ports can't do this as well, the phase is not equal side to side much less flat top to bottom. It is just as good as single drivers except it goes down to low bass, locked dead center.

Now with tweeter and caps broken in, I am happy with the tone balance. I won't be reducing the tweeter level as I said before. It is very balanced and natural.

In trying to diagnose the trouble with the lower mids I noted earlier, I tried swapping in the stock basic kit's steel laminated 18ga coils and could hear the difference. They are not bad, perfectly useable but the 10ga air cores are a noticable improvement in refinement and dynamics, much clearer low bass.

As for the low mid blurry issue, I thought it was CDP, but is still there and sadly I've grown used to it. It's just box vibrations coloring the direct sound. I can feel vibrations in the box walls. I used different bracing than Jeff's design and it's not good enough. I've designed a double box with sand wall filling, plus Jeffs window bracing on the inside. It preserves the internal volume. As soon as the cold weather lifts I'll build that. Thanks to Jeff for helping me work on the problem by PM. The speaker is so accurate that it really demands quietest best box you can make. I'm really looking forward to taking this amazing clarity and tone detail down into the bass.
Rich

Original post found here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?240430-Kairos&p=1972067#post1972067

livingstone

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:19 am

Hi Jeff,

you posted information on another forum that it is possible to buy only plans and crossover if you already have drivers on hands.
Could you advise who can indicate the price for this case? Tried to request this information a couple of times using "Contact us" option, but haven't received feedback :(.

Thanks,
Konstantin