Support for the DIY speaker builder

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Re: The Kairos thread

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:18 pm

livingstone wrote:
Hi Jeff,

you posted information on another forum that it is possible to buy only plans and crossover if you already have drivers on hands.
Could you advise who can indicate the price for this case? Tried to request this information a couple of times using "Contact us" option, but haven't received feedback :(.

Thanks,
Konstantin

I don't recall saying that. I believe I said it may be possible but you would need to contact Meniscus about. I do not make any decisions regarding the marketing and sales of this kit. You can contact them at: info@meniscusaudio.com
Jeff's Excel Loudspeaker Design Software
http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

wmcarpenter

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Hello Jeff,

Added Kairos kit to my cart, but before I buy, I'm writing to learn how things are going with the Raal/Satori kit and the concept of a full-range build around the Kairos with sub on bottom acting as base? I was thinking of doing the same for a three-way option and have already started modeling a few passive xovers in the instance my miniDSP doesn't blend well as an active solution. Updates? I'll also ask info@meniscusaudio.com

Thanks for all of your excellent work. I'll share the build as it evolves. Might spring for some burl walnut veneer this build. Fitting finish for what should be a truly high-performance loudspeaker with few others offering such an outstanding cost-to-value/performance ratio. -William

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:24 pm

wmcarpenter wrote:
Hello Jeff,

Added Kairos kit to my cart, but before I buy, I'm writing to learn how things are going with the Raal/Satori kit and the concept of a full-range build around the Kairos with sub on bottom acting as base? I was thinking of doing the same for a three-way option and have already started modeling a few passive xovers in the instance my miniDSP doesn't blend well as an active solution. Updates? I'll also ask info@meniscusaudio.com

Thanks for all of your excellent work. I'll share the build as it evolves. Might spring for some burl walnut veneer this build. Fitting finish for what should be a truly high-performance loudspeaker with few others offering such an outstanding cost-to-value/performance ratio. -William

The RAAL / Satori kits are complete. All you need to do is contact Meniscus for pricing information. The website for those is not up yet.

The MT that is similar in size to the Kairos is called the Auricle. These two speakers have a very similar frequency response but they do sound a bit different. I think the difference is more due to the difference in crossover order than to the tweeters high frequency capabilities. The Kairos has very shallow slopes and this adds something I really like to the overall presentation, plus the minimum phase characteristics may be involved. There is also an MTM that probably needs to be stand mounted to get the tweeter to ear height.

There is a new MMT mini-tower called the Testarossa that uses two Satori woofers and the RAAL. And this one sounds really wonderful to me, I may just build a pair for myself to keep.

I still would like to make a three-way based on the Kairos, but I haven't done it yet. I have been considering the CSS SDX-10 in a passive design because I think the sensitivity will match up well. I may consider a couple of other drivers though. I will see how it all shakes out in a couple of months.

Jeff
Jeff's Excel Loudspeaker Design Software
http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

wmcarpenter

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am

Thank you Jeff for such a detailed reply. I really do appreciate you taking the time to write out your response rather than copy and paste a link directing me to view another thread from another website where you've already apparently answered these questions. I do apologize for asking a question that you've answered elsewhere. You are a tremendous resource of knowledge to the DIY community and your kindness sets you apart, along with your great loudspeaker designs that truly make a joyful sound to our ears.

wmcarpenter

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:32 pm

This is what I was imagining. Hope the image posts properly. A quick rendering during lunch and I didn't have that much time to get measurements perfect, but this shows promise nonetheless. Rear baffle could be angled 14 degrees also for a more modern look but volume adjustments would be needed for upper and lower chambers to keep tuning correct. Thoughts? My question is related to which sub would work best for this application.
Attachments
Kairos Floor.jpg

David Whistance

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 am

I have read all I can about this speaker on the web and am very tempted by the kit, however in an ideal world I would like to have a subwoofer base/stand to go with it - similar to the Wilson Puppy to provide some extra low end for classical symphonies, etc. I have seen a number of references to this but not seen a design. Does anyone know of one, or is there any chance of one in the future?

David Whistance

wmcarpenter

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:06 pm

I think Jeff is planning one at some point, but you really can't go wrong with a sealed enclosure or passive radiator with TC Sounds, Peerless XLS, Dayton Reference, or other highly regarded 10-12" sub. The forums will guide you to the right solution. I'll probably build a separate box on the bottom as a base/sub and decide-as-I-go whether or not to taper the top of the sub enclosure so it blends with the baffle of the Kairos, or just build it bigger and plop the Kairos on top. The other alternative is a side-firing sub application where the baffle width is the same between the top and bottom pieces. Run actively one can delay side-firing subs by a few milisecs to time align with front baffle.

On a related note, I just finished the Piccolo kit sealed in the PE .25 cuft curved cabinet and my initial impressions of the SB Acoustics drivers are very favorable. My current comparison is Mark K's ER18. I'd say that even before the break-in period, the SB Acoustics 5" woofer present with some of the most natural sounding acoustic string bass I've heard and without a sub. Soundstage is larger than the speaker placement at roughly 10' across and 3' from back wall, and occasionally the sound takes on a three dimensional aspect where cymbals and piano harmonics are "around" you and not just in front of you. Time aligned very well, I assume. Smooth power response even compared to ER18's and this is verified by my not-so-patentable "walk around the room" test. ER18's image sits tightly in the middle--Piccolo is wider and the sound more laid back. All subjective at this point. Measurements I will make soon. Measurements or not, I can say that I'm really very happy with the SB Acoustics and will be building the Kairos within the next month with a sub enclosure on the bottom. These Piccolos will find a place in my home somewhere.

nrrun

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:13 pm

+1 Kairos floorstander with sub

FrankL

Wed May 14, 2014 9:27 am

Finished the Kairos a couple of weeks ago. I like them a lot!

Here's a pic.
Attachments
Kairos.jpg

woodsart

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:18 am

FrankL, the Kairos look cool in white, glad you like them.

Thought I would post my impressions since tomorrow, June 24, was pretty much my completion date for my build of the Kairos....can't believe it has been a year.

Such smooth sounding speakers, articulate reproductions with such amazing bass, with plugged ports...just effortless in all areas. The pristine highs satisfy me which is one of my pet peeves. Fortunately they still think they are in the "big boy league", but who knows they certainly sound "bigger" than they are. Can't imagine what they would be like with an extra bass compartment at the bottom, please pursue this!!! Jeff/WM?

I stick to my main word to describe these amazing speakers...."intoxicating"!!!

Thanks again Jeff!

Robert