Support for the DIY speaker builder

oBSidian

Re: The Kairos thread

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi Jeff,

I’m planning a build of your Kairos. I’ll be making the boxes myself using appleply with walnut veneer for the cabinets and and teak veneer for the baffles and plan on doing some dovetail work for the joinery on the boxes. Hoping the exterior appearance will do justice to the sound quality I’ve heard your speakers generate!

I have a couple of questions with regards to cabinet dimensions (being a complete newbie when it comes to audio engineering).

Firstly, I believe you mention here on the meniscus forum that the baffle width on your original Kairos was 9”, but the meniscus plans show it as 8.5”. Will this impact sound quality in any way? If so, what would you recommend and why?
Also, I have seen some folks mention that they increased the depth of the cabinets above that shown on the designs. What benefits (if any) would this provide, and would this require any modifications to port location etc? I can see that larger box volume might = deeper bass, perhaps?

Look forward to hearing from you - thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Ben

Jeff B.
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:32 pm

Yes, my cabinets and the plans differ by 1/2" in baffle width. This will make no difference in the performance of the speaker, so follow the plans that you received.

Some people may have increased the cabinet depth or retuned the cabinet to increase the bass extension a little. Personally, my recommendation is to make the speaker sealed. The Satori woofer has a very compliant suspension and the vented version, although it has deeper extension into the 30's, is susceptible to a lot of cone motion at very low frequencies. The sealed version has very satisfying bass and still offers excellent control over the cone motion. If more extension is desired then you can use a larger enclosure but you need to tune the port to around 28Hz or so to help control the cone.
Jeff's Excel Loudspeaker Design Software
http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

oBSidian

Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Jeff,

Thanks so much for your reply - that's very useful information to have.

I will go ahead and build the cabinets sealed with the 8.5" wide baffles per the plans.

My plywood arrived today so I am excited to get going. I'll see about posting some photos of the process as I make progress.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Ben

Mistertaz

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:56 pm

As an alternative box shape, I assume I could just build the Kairos with the Adelphos box plan, but add a permanent wedge to the base to angle the front baffle to 14 degrees?

Also, to get facets on the front baffle to reduce diffraction effects, do you just carefully use a random orbital sander? Any tips?

Thanks!
Taz.

Mistertaz

Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Oh... And for the guys at Meniscus...

If you produced a pre-made front baffle for the Kairos kit with the driver holes routed and the edges with an angled 'step' cut in them to meet a regular square edge, it would make the box construction much easier for everyone and add another component in the kit to sell. I'm sure it would generate sales for the Kairos kit!

raelman

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:46 am

Hello Jeff and all the guys here.

I'd like to thanks Jeff for this beauty creation that I'd like to build, but I have tried to contact meniscus at their web site to buy the crossover (I do already have those drivers from a project I couldn't finish) and got no answer.

I live in Spain and, if any of you can contact Mark at meniscus or send me his email would be very kind of you since now I have time to build those beauties.

Thanks to all

raelman

Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:17 am

Hello and thanks to Jeff and meniscus for this beauties.

I'd like to build the kairos because I already have the drivers form a project I couldn't finish.

I live in Spain and I'm emailing meniscus with no answer to buy the crossover from them.

Can anybody help me here with mark's email or any shortcut to them?

Thank you.

mresseguie

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 am

raelman,

I understand your frustration.

Best of luck.

Try posting a message to their FaceBook page. https://www.facebook.com/MeniscusAudio/?fref=ts

dst

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:34 pm

I have noted two Satori MTMs now on the web.  Jeff, are you contemplating an MTM or TMM 2.5 way?:

One by Martin King:    http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project11/Satori_MTM_Bass_Reflex_Speaker_System.pdf

The other by Troels Gravesen:     http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBA-16-MTM.htm

Both gents are held in high esteem in the DIY community.