Support for the DIY speaker builder

kenrhodes

Re: Want to do a new build using the HiVi L6-4R, help??

Sat May 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Any finished pics? I'm also curios about the tweeter and crossover.

mattsk8
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 pm

kenrhodes wrote:
Any finished pics? I'm also curios about the tweeter and crossover.

Not yet. I haven't done anything w/ them, I still have to get them from Meniscus from when they tested them :shock: . I've been super busy lately between working on other things at home, working on those church speakers, family, etc.

Hope to get back after them soon. I'll definitely do a thorough write up about them when they're finished! So far, they sound fantastic! My plan at this point is to make 5 of them for my HT system, then eventually build either 1 or 2 subs to complement them as well.

kenrhodes

Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 pm

I cant wait that looks like a very nice driver and a great build. I may have to call up meniscus and see what they could do with this woofer and the hivi sd1.1 tweeter. On paper this looks like a good match-up.

mattsk8
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:23 pm

I got the xovers temporarily hooked up yesterday and had a chance to play. It was kind of late (about 11pm) so I couldn't deliver much abuse to them yet.

I need more time to play, but at this point they mop the floor w/ the pair of Polk Audio TSi200 speakers that I use for my garage system. Still going to play w/ the cabinets a bit, I may build one more cabinet and add about 3" to the height and see how that effects things.

Either way, its looking very good 8-) . Glad to be back after these babies and hope to have them done before the 1 year mark comes around from when I started them :oops:

wrxified

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 am

First time post from a new member. My name is Andrew. Matt and I had a chance to meet up this weekend to try out a couple of his speakers with a new Sherbourn receiver I recently picked up.. I wanted to get some ideas for a new set of speakers for my home.

First I'll say that I've never considered building a set myself. I was one of those naive suckers that typically walks into Best Buy or the local high end audio dealer and lets the sales person flip through their list of favorites and would make decisions based on the limited selections I was presented with. About 5 years ago I bought a full Paradigm home theater setup with Monitor 7's for the front. I compared them to B&W 684's at the time and ultimately decided on the Paradigms. I wanted the B&W's based on what I heard, but for $2500 (Paradigms) vs. $4000 (B&W), I couldn't hear a $1500 difference.

Matt brought over both his ER18's and this HiVi project he's working on. The we started with my Paradigm's then moved to the ER18's. I was sickened by the difference. Literally felt robbed. I'd never heard anything like the ER18's. I'm sure you guys have heard plenty that would give them a run for the money but for me nothing compared.

Then Matt hooked up this HiVi work in progress. I honestly had low expectations based on the looks (again back to my naive misconceptions). I was floored at how effortlessly this MT speaker handled some pretty difficult tracks. It has such a warm and accurate tone. Lots of mids, not too bright. I told Matt the only way I can describe was it's "milky smooth". I could easily listen to it for hours.

I was sold immediately. Matt put me in touch in Chad at Meniscus this week and we've put together some plans to build on the work they've done so far. We're going to use the same HiVi L6-4R driver and SB Acoustics tweeter in an MTM configuration for the front left, right & center. The rear will be the MT design that Matt worked on with Meniscus.

Chad I have the list finalized for what we're going to order. Once we have everything Matt and I will get the baffles and first MTM box together to drop off at Meniscus for the x-over design work. We'll keep you guys updated but I'm hopeful we should have everything done near the end of January!!

(p.s. Matt - thanks for leaving the ER18's, not sure I'll be able to part with them before New Years....;-)

mattsk8
Topic Author

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Just saw this, been a while since I've had time to peruse the speaker forums! I can't wait to hear this come to fruition. Its looking like you'll be listening to your system all done before I get mine done :shock: . With Christmas behind me, I should be able to move forward again.

mattsk8
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:32 am

Figured I'd update this. Here's a link to pics, and to the Blues Kit's offered by Meniscus. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=434

Also, Paul Kittenger designed a ML/TL cabinet for the MTM version of the Blues, which I built and use. The bass is incredible, and they still play very loud 8-) . Here are pics of that build...

Panels cut, dado'd and rabbeted

I made the xover removable, for tweaking purposes

Dry fit the cabinets to make sure everything goes together the way it should

Back of the cabinets with removable xovers

Cabinets assembled. I still need to finish the exteriors, and once that's done I'll update this again.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I have dimensions for all the cabinets, and Paul K also designed a ML/TL cabinet for the TM (as well as the MTM), so if 47" is too tall or these are too deep, the TM might be the better option for you.

hthale

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:53 am

Would you post the dimensions of the cabinets - I would be very interested in building them.

mattsk8
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:04 pm

hthale wrote:
Would you post the dimensions of the cabinets - I would be very interested in building them.

No problem! Which are you interested in? The MTM or the TM? And would you do the tower version or the stand mount?

hthale

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:30 pm

I would actually be interested in both the MTM and the TM.