Support for the DIY speaker builder

Wolf
Topic Author

Re: Trying this out...

Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 am

Ken- I suppose it would. Some of that type wire has a thicker insulation/enamel than the stuff I'm using, so you may require more heat to get one soldered.

BTW- I figured out a way to stabilize the size and shape of the Litz's, so I'll be making a few of those soon...
I also think I'll try my own Duelund style coils and pot them too, just to see what I hear.

Later,
Wolf

kenrhodes

Thu May 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks I will be watching and testing very soon :)

Wolf
Topic Author

Stabilized the Litz coils...

Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 am

Had to think of a way forthe Litz's to be bonded to a former to not allow flexxing of the coil, and keep the coil stationary without bulges.

Used the jig from before with a plain 1.5' PVC ring. The good news is this is scalable. I can use thicker or thinner rings as required, and longer lengths too; as long as the ring allows a small space at the inside of the 'X' cutouts for zipties to pass through:

So it's very similar to the last pair I tried, except these are a better implementation and won't flex:

I later dipped them in gloss polyurethane- twice. Since I hung them to dry by the leads, I had to redip and use the other lead to get the flow consistent through the windings. It is definitely not going to move now! Hardened and in place as required.

I want to get some 3" PVC rings cut, or maybe 3" cardboard tubing that I have a supply of, and then pot the coils in epoxy. It won't be this pair, but maybe the next one to see if it's audibly difference.

Later,
Wolf

kenrhodes

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 pm

What are you using to measure these? I am looking at a lc100a on ebay.
I also got one of our scrap electro magnets from work and got the coil out it is about 2inches tall 2inch diamiter with a 3/4 hole down the middle and the wire looks like 20g wire but I will have to gauge it sometime to be sure. A decent size coil for free :)

Wolf
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:01 pm

I have a Mastech LC meter. 390-570 at Parts Express, and about $55.
You can use a DATS and/or S&L WT2 as well to do this, if you already have one.

Have fun!
Wolf

kenrhodes

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:53 pm

I think the $25 tester is the cheapest way to go and would let me get the job done without breaking the bank. I will get one of those and a few speakers on order and hopefully use them both on my next project (hivi sd1.1 and silverflute w14).

Gowa

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:29 pm

That's just crazy cool.

Wolf
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:41 am

Thanks, Ling!
Wolf

stephenkatz9

Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Wolf--
What you are doing is crazy cool, but wouldn't it be easier to buy commercial coils and unwind them to your custom value? Are you planning to custom make resistors and caps too? Why not go for broke and try a Frankenstein monster?
By the way, how's your little one doing?

Wolf
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:54 am

stephenkatz9 wrote:
Wolf--
What you are doing is crazy cool, but wouldn't it be easier to buy commercial coils and unwind them to your custom value? Are you planning to custom make resistors and caps too? Why not go for broke and try a Frankenstein monster?
By the way, how's your little one doing?

I've already a stock-pile of coils that I'm still going through when necessary, and I will likely buy laminate or P-cores for lesser DCR when needed, but the cost of the remnant spools is much less costly than buying new. More often than not, the coils have been over-value of what is on the label. I believe I waste less wire winding my own.
Later,
Wolf