Support for the DIY speaker builder

mattsk8
Topic Author

Re: My first pro audio build, church sanctuary speakers

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Finally done!! I'll take some better pics when in they're in the church.

Image Image

bkeane1259

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Sorry if this was already mentioned but what size space will these be in? They look great BTW!! Are they specifically for voice?
Bryan K.

mattsk8
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Probably 80% of what goes through these is voice, but they're not specifically for voice. I also plan on building a pair of BFM horn loaded subs to go w/ them, but the church needs to build up the budget to get the amp and drivers for that build. These definitely need subs.

The area is an acoustical nightmare. Its all concrete block construction, and its an octagon shaped room w/ 30' tall, vaulted knotty pine ceilings. Here's pics of the church. The speakers will get flown (not by me, but my cabinet mounting points are rock solid) above the clear podium in the middle on the stage.

mattsk8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Going back through this I realized I never posted finished pics or results :oops: .

I'm very pleased with how these turned out. I'm very glad we swapped the tweeters from the original design, the originals were awful and the new tweeter implements well in the array (thank you Meniscus for your help with that).

My goal was to have plenty of headroom, and this design in this atmosphere is a home run IMO, it's VERY loud if you want it to be 8-) . SQ is very realistic, and the array broadcasts very evenly in a difficult venue to implement a sound system in. Now I need to teach the sound board guys how to work it, a few Sundays have been too loud, and they need to settle down with the high frequencies when they're dialing in the microphones :o :) .

Next up will be acoustic tile for the center of the ceiling, and a pair of BFM design horn loaded 15" subs (these definitely need subs).

Once again, very happy with the way these turned out, as are the other members at church!!

Pic of them flown...

Mike220

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Just knowing you were cutting that many holes makes me shed a tear for you! They are lucky to have you.