Support for the DIY speaker builder

Wolf

Re: Docere MLTL - build thread

Sat May 17, 2014 12:36 am

Yep- I took the day off and wanted to work in the garage myself to put the curves into place for my theme entry. So- I bought some music for the event, and tested some of it out on the 'Tudes....

Interesting,
Wolf

bkeane1259
Topic Author

Sat May 17, 2014 4:10 am

Yup.....almost cold enough for it to snow here but we lit up the fire pit, turned on the grills and popped a couple brews and all was good. Didn't get anything done on the project tho.......

Bryan K.

bkeane1259
Topic Author

Sat May 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Just out of curiosity, I checked the squareness of the cabinets. Shocked, to say the least.

Bryan K.

bkeane1259
Topic Author

Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Worked on the baffles today.

Port cutout. The design calls for a 2.5" x 7" port. Normally, I'd use schedule 40 PVC but 2.5" is an odd I.D. to find around here so I just got the 2.5" flared port that PE carries. It will need to be trimmed a bit. http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-ca ... d--260-478

I wanted to see the Acoust-X layer in between the ply and MDF, so I pried apart the port cutout puck. I actually had to use a hammer and chisel to separate the puck. That Acoust-X bonds a lot better than I thought.

Tweeter cutout:

Since the jasper circle jig only adjusts by 1/16th I had to go a hair bigger than the 104mm cutout. When I Duratex the baffle, it should be nice and snug, but for now there's a tiny gap.

Woofer cutout and the chamfered backside. I use a cove bit and freehand it.

Bryan K.

bkeane1259
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 pm

I have enough Cherry veneer left over from when I did the Seas Trym MLTL, so I will be veneering the sides and tops of the Docere MLTL towers and Duratexing the front/rear baffles and the bottoms.

I've tried raw and paper-backed veneer with the iron-on method and got good results, but the process is a bit long and it requires a fair amount of patience (which I lack). For the Seas project I used PSA-backed veneer from VeneerSupplies.com and I found that process to be a quicker and less messy, although the substrate requires some prep work for the PSA to get a really good bond.

Today I brushed on two coats of dewaxed shellac on the panels that will receive the veneer. Tomorrow I’ll lightly sand to make sure I have an even and completely flat, sealed surface to work with.

The veneer is paper-backed cherry flat cut with the PSA option - http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/ ... 2-x-8.html
Bryan K.

meniscus
Site Admin

Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Looking good so far! Can't wait to see / hear these.

Mark

bkeane1259
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2014 2:54 pm

So on Saturday I put two fairly heavy coats of shellac on the cabinet panels that will eventually be veneered. Zinsser dewaxed shellac is simply the best unless you're into doing your own with concoction with flakes. I just brushed it on with a throwaway brush.

Today I sanded with 320 and 400 grit paper to make sure the substrate was as smooth as possible. Even at the end grain it's even and smooth as a baby's bottom after the shellac application. This is necessary for the PSA veneer to stick well. It's very finicky and it doesn't adhere well to bare wood and certainly not to end grain.

Also touched up some imperfections with my good friend Mr. Bondo.

Went ahead and Duratexed the Backs and bottoms. After I veneer, I might end up adding an additional coat. Have to see what it looks like. I resanded the edges where the Duratex sort of overlapped to ensure there are no high spots when I lay down the veneer. I applied the Duratex in the sun, fully knowing that you're NOT supposed to. I wanted to see just how quickly this stuff dries. My advice is NOT to apply it in the sun...ever. I was sanding within 10 minutes and reapplying additional coats. You have to work EXTREMELY fast under the sun. Duratex will gunk up on you by the time you get to the end of the panel if you're slow.

A closeup of the texture. I used a smooth foam roller (six-inch). I didn't want an aggressive texture.

Bryan K.

kenny_k

Tue May 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Lovely...........Lovely.............Loving it.
Go Bryan Go!
Kenny

bkeane1259
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Haha....thanks Kenny.
Bryan K.

bkeane1259
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2014 6:15 pm

With the help of my 20yr old (Sean) we veneered the cabinets today. Oh and great weather in Chicago for a change :mrgreen:

We're using PSA cherry veneer that I had left over from my last tower project. Using leftovers, we don't have the luxury of lining up the grain too well, so these won't have a "wrap around" matching grain effect but we did the best we could and it of course will look better than the bare plywood.

With PSA veneer, you only need to firmly press the veneer onto the substrate with a "scraper" tool. It works surprsingly well despite how simple it is. http://tinyurl.com/k4czua4

Here you can see how the grain pattern on the top of the cabinet doesn't line up with the sides but who pays attention to that?

I used to painstakingly try to trim the excess veneer as close as possible by hand (with an exacto knife or veneer saw) but it's actually easier to just trim it "close" and then run the router with a flush trim bit to get the edges perfect. I don't remember where I read about this, but a good trick to protect the unfinished veneer from being scratched by the router is to put down some contact paper before you flush trim. The contact paper sticks well but is easily removed after your run the router across the panel. My wife always buys too much of this crap, so we have lots of leftovers to use for this purpose. For the point where the flush trim bit bearing contacts the adjacent panel, I stick a strip of masking tape.

I was curious how the veneer would look against the black Duratexed back panels and it's actually not bad at all. The eventual owner of these will have them almost right up against the wall, so the back panels will never be seen. Why waste expensive veneer on them?

I'll be finishing the veneer with Waterlox. It's super easy to use and I should be able to get several coats on before InDIYana....so they won't be naked after all!! http://tinyurl.com/mshhhef
Bryan K.