I am doing the Finalists. This is my first non-8ohm speaker build, so I may ask questions that are obvious to more experienced folks. I have the crossovers built, and have tested the speakers with them before I start building the cabinets.
My concerns/observations are as follows:
- I've tested the speakers out of cabinet and the woofer is moving a lot, but making little noise. Tweeter and Mid sound great
- I elected to use electrolytic caps for the 100mF capacitors. I have the following model https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?catalog=description&nodiapo&id=1289&recherche=&numRows=&manufacturiers=&niveau1=1&niveau2=3&niveau3=31&s1=2&s2=3&s3=&s4=
- I am worried about powering the speakers. I had to have my 60wpc amp at 75% to get to listening levels.
So my questions are as follows:
- Is the 100V 100mF non-polar electrolytic cap messing with woofer performance (causing erratic behaviour), or is there another possibility?
- If the 100V max is a problem, I also have 4 400V 100mF polar caps that I could use.https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?catalog=description&nodiapo&id=1277&recherche=&numRows=&manufacturiers=&niveau1=1&niveau2=3&niveau3=68&s1=2&s2=3&s3=&s4= Do I need to install these in mirrored pairs? Will this help? If not, then I will buy the 400v 100mdf caps from solen.
- Do cabinets greatly increase the spl of the speakers, and is it entirely unfair to be worried about powering my speakers when I am testing them out of cabinet?
- I have access to 3 amps. 65wpc, 60wpc, and 25pwc. Is there a way that I could use 2 amps to power different parts of the speakers? Could I perhaps power the bass with one amp, and the tweeter and mid with another?
- Can I somehow preamp my signal into my main amp and boost the volume that way? Suggested models of preamps if its a good idea?
Lots of questions here, and not a lot of experience. My thanks in advance to anyone who provides advice. Thank you!