Support for the DIY speaker builder

mpryfogle
Topic Author

Re: ZX Spectrum Build

Thu May 07, 2015 11:37 am

While working on these I sat on the floor (they're in a very tiny room currently) and was amazed that the bass response is much greater with my head at driver level or below. So I believe that most of my issues are probably in room layout and speaker location. I plan on raising them up a bit when they're complete so this shouldn't be as big of an issue.

They also seem to be gaining in bass response as the days go by, I'm not sure if this is a real phenomenon or if I'm just not listening to the bass heavy Pioneers as much and am getting use to something that is probably a more flat, true speaker.

I also added some extra sealing behind the tweeter and that might have helped a bit, but it could be psychological.

Thanks again for all your help,
Michael

Paul Carmody

Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 am

I would suggest going to audiocheck.net and doing the "Loudspeakers Polarity Test." Do the "Rumble" and "Tone." Tests. Play their in-phase and out-of-phase versions of both. One of the two should be considerably louder than the other. If the out-of-phase version happens to be louder, then you know the polarity is flipped on one of your woofers.

mpryfogle
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2015 10:21 pm

I've got to say, these things sound awesome.

After sealing the tweeters in greatly and giving the woofers some time to break in I was getting some really deep bass and great highs, but the beater on a kick, snare hit and gain guitar lines were very thin. Tonight I swapped the phase on the tweeters opposite from what they are on the schematic and everything came to life. I'm not sure if these tweeters are somehow backward from what they should be, I was told they had their backs off before I got them, but these speakers are sounding amazing.

I've did some before an afters with Daft Punk, Tool, Miles Davis, Muse, the Beatles, mainly anything I had in my collection that had bass and I knew fairly well. For Daft Punk, these things are hitting like a truck. Incredible amounts of bass.

Wolf

Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 am

If you have a smart phone, there are some RTA apps you can try to see if they are flat or non-flat in terms of response and likely answer your question about proper wiring. I would do one channel at a time, and then the pair. This is just to make sure.

Just a thought,
Wolf

stephenkatz9

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:29 am

An easy way to check if one of your woofers has the wrong polarity: place the speakers facing each other a few inches apart, and see what the bass does. If it reinforces and gets louder they are in phase, if it disappears, the they are out of phase and therefore one of them has the wrong polarity.