Support for the DIY speaker builder

pleppink
Topic Author

Re: Blues TM first ever build!

Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:18 pm

Yes sorry, I am still new to this whole process. I am looking to use these for just music. (building a pair)

I do not have a preamp. What would the price range be for a new stereo receiver for these two speakers used just for music?

mattsk8

Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Personally, I would go this route with this Yamaha R-N301 receiver. It's $269 and free shipping on Amazon. Rated 150/channel @ 4 ohms. It looks like it also has decent networking features if you're interested in that. I know it's about $70 over your budget, but Yamaha makes a solid product. You could probably find something comparable used for around $200, but you'll have to do the research.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-N301BL-N ... aha+r-n301

There really are a lot of options, but it all depends on what you want. If you look around, a vintage Pioneer SX-950 would easily drive them as well; those can be found on eBay for around $250 to $350 if you're patient (none now, I checked and the ones there right now are ridiculously expensive). Just a thought if you wanted to have some fun, there's a LOT of power and good sound quality in those vintage receivers. I know it says "85 watts/channel", but the SX-950 will mop the floor in terms of output with modern receivers rated at double that power output.

pleppink
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Awesome! I will probably buy the $269 one!

Finally I am going to start soldering tomorrow. How do I check the polarity on the components. I can't find any positive or negative markings on the components or on the tweeter and woofer themselves. Are the components in this kit polarized? or can I hook them up in either direction?

pleppink
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Here are my two crossovers!
Attachments
photo 1.JPG

pleppink
Topic Author

Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:23 pm

I know I switched the red and green wires on one of them, but other than that how do they look?
Attachments
photo 2.JPG

mattsk8

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:55 am

Assuming all the values are correct (and based on the ones I can see they look good), the crossovers look good :D . How are the cabinets coming along?

Just FYI, don't forget to switch the polarity on the tweeter. I almost always forget to do that :oops: .

meniscus
Site Admin

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:06 am

pleppink wrote:
Awesome! I will probably buy the $269 one!

Finally I am going to start soldering tomorrow. How do I check the polarity on the components. I can't find any positive or negative markings on the components or on the tweeter and woofer themselves. Are the components in this kit polarized? or can I hook them up in either direction?

Parts are not polarize. You can connect either end of the part.
Mark

pleppink
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:49 pm

I've been a little busy the last few days so I haven't had a chance to finish up the cabinets, but I did order the router guide you recommended so that should make making the circular cuts easier. I am going to work on them Thursday night, and I'll let you know how it goes!

pleppink
Topic Author

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:36 pm

I finished the front baffles! The circle router rig worked great!

Do you have any tips for painting them? I am not sure I want to do veneers for these (I want to finish them this weekend and I don't really know how to do veneers). Would spray painting them be a good alternative?

bullittstang

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 am

You can certainly paint the baffles. I would suggest "flat" black or at the most a satin finish, because going gloss on your first try will typically result in hair being pulled out. Go over the bare MDF with at least 2-3 coats of primer, or use a sanding sealer on the wood (others use a 50/50 mix of wood glue and water too). MDF is very porous and you'll waste a lot of time and money if you go straight to paint.
Once you get a good smooth sealed baffle (sanded to at least 220 grit) go for the paint. Again, go slow and build up 2-3 light coats and then sane up to at least 400 grit, then go for the final coat. This will be the most important, so make sure the surface is smooth and free of any dust or debris before you paint.
If you did it right, you should have a very nice finished product.
Remember, if you used Butt-joints on the cabinet and you want to paint, you will really have to make sure you seal, sand and get those perfectly smooth before painting or they will telegraph through.
Personally veneer is WAY EASIER, especially if you get the 3M backed version. Cherry, Oak or Mahogany isn't too expensive either.