Support for the DIY speaker builder

audioparts
Topic Author

Best value two-way bookshelf?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 pm

I want to build and audiophile quality 2-way bookshelf and I am perplexed when I look at the large number of kits and plans available.  I am currently using a 20 year old set of Paradigm mini monitors which use a poly 6.5" driver with a 1" aluminum dome. These have been good units but I know there has been some real improvement in speaker design in the last 20 years and with my aging system now is the time to upgrade. I have previously built the Overnight Sensations that I use at my desktop and they are great but too small for my home theater system.    I consider myself an audiophile and I play 75% music 25% videos so I place high value on sound stage, imaging and definition.   Maybe a Jeff Bagby design favorite?

stephenkatz9

Re: Best value two-way bookshelf?

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Where are you located? If you come to one of the meets, and there is one in Ft. Wayne In. soon, you could hear many systems for yourself. 

audioparts
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:05 pm

I am located in central Missouri so it would be difficult to make the Indiana show.  Possible there are some meets closer to my area?  :)

speekerbldr

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Most years there's a DIY event in Kentucky and one in Sioux City Iowa.  Though I don't know of any in Missouri or if those are close enough for you.

https://www.facebook.com/Iowadiy/

kenrhodes

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Do you have some design ideals and a price range? This would help us recommend kits that will suit you better.

audioparts
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:58 pm

I would like to stay in the 1/2 cu ft size range if possible but I could go up to approx. 1 cu ft size if need be.  Price range $350 to $850 per pair.  I am very interested in the Statement Monitor by Curt Campbell and am intrigued with the use of the ribbon tweeters in that model.