Support for the DIY speaker builder

dlr
Topic Author

Re: User feedback thread for v1.0

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Jeff S. wrote:
Dave, I had the system tab open on the bottom of the screen and tried to change values in the tweeter section. I did read the pop up message on the schematic tab and did not try that one.

That was why I thought having a "Open System Tab Window" on the tweeter, mid, and Woofer pages would be nice. I have only thinkered with writing code and not sure if this could be done but here goes. Is it possible to say automatically close the system tab window when you click outside the window area. This way if a user forgets to close it and tries to go back to say tweak a value it would close automatically and then when reopened it would be updated.

Jeff

I can't replicate the problem. As long as I've selected the wiring configuration on the System page, the updates to the system graphs work. I started with the idea of something like you suggest, but quickly abandoned that to make it a real-time update with the window open. The only thing that has caught me is if I set the electrical order that has zeroes in the 2nd or 4th order section (parallel component in the main section). This is a direct short. Even if this isn't the issue, I should probably post a popup indicating a shorted section.

I see another side issue with the default directory. If it's changed, the import session goes there, but the import file does not. I'll check that out as well. I worked with saved session files to much I suppose. Re-load of them works fine.

Dave

dlr
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm

JMB wrote:
Hi Dave,

I played around with your new release and it looks good. I think that I noticed a couple of things that you might want to look at. It would be very convenient to have the system tab window able to remain up as you shift from tab to tab, particularly the schematic tab. In addition, it seems that if you set an overlay and then pull in a different configuration, you have to re-choose the crossover type to get the graphic to display the old overlay with the new response.

Thanks so much for working on this. It has great potential and is already very useful.

Jay

Did you encounter the issue that Jeff had above? I can't replicate it.

I had considered what you suggest with the system button, but didn't go back to it. I can do that very easily, I'll look into doing it.

When you say "pull in a different configuration", are you saying that you are loading a different PCD v7 session file? If so, that may be the reason. I haven't tried loading multiple v7 session files sequentially. It may be that for those (for now) you would have to manually select that. Save the session to the new format and it should work.

I may need to look more closely at importing v7 session files.

Dave

Edit: Ref. the system window, are you saying to keep it on top at all times? I can do that easily, had considered it. I just didn't know if users would prefer that. I also considered having options to let the user set that as desired. I'll look into doing that, but am not sure where to place that option selector if I do it.

Edit 2: You can design without the system window. Each driver graph has an option that lets you display the system summed response. I didn't make the system window stay on top since this option can be used during design. You don't see the impedance, of course.

Jeff S.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Jeff S. wrote:
Dave, I had the system tab open on the bottom of the screen and tried to change values in the tweeter section. I did read the pop up message on the schematic tab and did not try that one.

Dave, Here's a pic of what I was talking about. I did understand that this wouldn't work and that's why I ask for the bottons to open this window and it does work very nicely. Ok, yes being able to change polarity on the tweeter or mid would be nice. I did find however that if you chance polarity in the small graph and then open the system tab window it is updated and shows the null.
WinPCD.jpg

dlr
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Jeff S. wrote:
Dave, Here's a pic of what I was talking about. I did understand that this wouldn't work and that's why I ask for the bottons to open this window and it does work very nicely. Ok, yes being able to change polarity on the tweeter or mid would be nice. I did find however that if you chance polarity in the small graph and then open the system tab window it is updated and shows the null.
WinPCD.jpg

I see the issue now. It's all related to the way controls work. The control on the main window has to be in view for the action to work. None of the components work at all because the change required would be too long and cumbersome. I was surprised when I realized this issue. It comes down to doing this as a secondary plan. I also did not have the experience with C# when I began, so it's all new to me. I need to write some new instructions to document this quirk. The polarity buttons do work, but only in the case where the main screen is in view. I was going to leave those buttons off the system graphs window entirely, since it's not often that polarity should change and I figured that doing it only from the main page should be sufficient, but I added them anyway. Maybe it does more to confuse than to help.

Dave

Jeff S.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Update, If you look at the pic I posted, the System SPL and Imp. Graph does update when you make a change to any of the xo values. Also you can use the +/- button on the tweeter SPL and it will update the system spl to show you the reverse null. You do not have to open and close the system spl window.
Great Work Dave!!

dlr
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks, Jeff. The only issue is when trying to use tabs (or other controls) on a separate window without the complementary control on the main window in view. I'm sure it could be done better, but that's how it will be for now. Once you get used to the small quirks it's easy to work around them.

Dave

Jeff S.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Not sure what other controls you're talking about?

dlr
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Jeff S. wrote:
Not sure what other controls you're talking about?

Controls are the screen items such as data entry scrollers, textboxes, etc. Microsoft definition is "components with visual representation". Sorry to use confusing terms, it's more than data entry, but most of WinPCD is data entry or text displays and buttons.

Dave

mgagneur

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 am

Hi Dave,

I have been using your program and found it a real step in the right direction. Thanks for working on this.
I have a situation I'm not sure how to handle. I have a SB17 woofer and am mating it to a big AMT heil. I set the mic on the heil axis and measure, heil, sb17 and heil / sb17 together. To get the summed response to match the overlay measurement I need to tell WinPCD the heil is actually behind the woofer, which is true. My problem happens when I type in a value greater than 0.024 or so for a z offest for the woofer meaning, I think, the woofer is in front of the heil. When I get the offset right the overlay and summed response match very well, but as the value goes beyond 0.024 I get an error message of "Driver distance is longer than listening distance..." and the program does not appear to be really happy.

Making the woofer offset positive is the only way I have been able to get the summed response to match the actual measured overlay.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

dlr
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:40 am

mgagneur wrote:
To get the summed response to match the overlay measurement I need to tell WinPCD the heil is actually behind the woofer, which is true. My problem happens when I type in a value greater than 0.024 or so for a z offest for the woofer meaning, I think, the woofer is in front of the heil. When I get the offset right the overlay and summed response match very well, but as the value goes beyond 0.024 I get an error message of "Driver distance is longer than listening distance..." and the program does not appear to be really happy.

Making the woofer offset positive is the only way I have been able to get the summed response to match the actual measured overlay.

Glad to hear you're using it. I appreciate the feedback.

The intent of the message was to notify a user that the reference (listening/mic) position was set at an incongruent position. For example, you could have the reference behind the front baffle if, say, you set the reference such that a driver was more forward, i.e., you can set the values to have a mic behind a driver. It was intended more as an aid against accidentally setting a physically unrealizable reference.

I've done some quick testing and have been able to reproduce it. I didn't test much with drivers in front. Nothing stops you from using it with any settings, but the notification popping up is a problem. I could simply eliminate the popup, I'll consider other ways to inform or simply drop it.

I'll check it out. Not sure just how quickly I can get a fix ready, I'll want to test it better than I did the first time. That is if I don't decide to drop the message altogether. I may switch to something like a control flashing briefly or similar. But obviously, the check itself isn't working correctly.

This will be important as I have plans (down the road) to add more off-axis capabilities such as displaying multiple off-axis points simultaneously. It will be important for a user to have a proper spatial setup.

Thanks for letting me know.

Dave